Washington DC, United States
The Creative Director at AKQA will approach every brief with fresh eyes. Avoiding familiar solutions, the Creative Director will create and inspire work that is distinctive, effective and truly remarkable. They lead by example to consistently inspire creative colleagues to create world- class, pioneering ideas that conceptualize world-class solutions, while acting as a strategic and conceptual leader on projects. Creative Directors at AKQA display a cohesive understanding and can execute the principles that make innovative and effective digital communications, interface design, and interaction design.
Based on the Georgetown Waterfront, our Washington DC studio creates breakthrough products and services for a diverse range of clients.
Recognized for outstanding work by Cannes, Apple and the Clio Awards, we deliver on our client’s most challenging briefs. This includes the future of retail, global entertainment launches and piloting digital products and services that reshape customer experiences.
We are proud of our industry defying retention rate, with both employees and clients alike. Over 20% of our employees have been with us for ten or more years. Our collaborative teams work across strategy, creative, analytics, and technology.
- Sets creative direction and provides hands-on guidance throughout all phases of project work from discovery to launch and beyond with ongoing optimization
- Works in a hands-on capacity internally and with clients to develop the strategy, experience concepts and establish the overarching design direction for the experience
- Produces compelling and highly usable experience solutions in response to client needs
- Communicates and represents creative vision and execution with client partners
- Continually develops processes to inspire, innovate, and harness new ways of thinking
- Inspires and leads by example, setting professional standards for the team and the department
- Actively trains, mentors, and manages mid-level to director-level creatives
- Responsible for managing and guiding junior- thru director-level creatives’ careers within AKQA (including regular one-on-one check- ins), writing and delivering annual performance reviews, and taking responsibility for on-boarding new employees and guiding them through a successful tenure at AKQA
- Creatively participates in new business pitches – i.e. responsible for ideas and creative work, and competently presents pitches
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- A minimum of 12 years’ experience in the creative industry
- All candidates must possess a portfolio showcasing a comprehensive understanding of how all creative disciplines, including conceptual and executional (art direction, user experience, copy, and motion) contribute to a finished product
- Demonstrated creative success in leading collaborative cross disciplinary teams
- A solid understanding of the marketing industry at large; an ability and a desire to adapt to the changing landscape of technology
- Experience in, and enthusiasm for, creating digital platforms and products from brief to delivery and beyond.
- Experience in side-by-side collaboration with design and development teams and leaders
- Strong working knowledge of user interface, application, mobile and responsive design
- Exceptional communication skills: Verbal, written, interpersonal and inter-departmental
- Superb professionalism and mature presence in all aspects of the job
- Thought leadership: A strong point of view; ability to contribute to the strategic development of an assignment; creative ideas and the ability to promote conceptual thinking among the team
AKQA is an Equal Opportunities Employer, we believe that diversity is vital to AKQA’s ability to provide our clients with the best recommendations and are committed to fostering a varied and inclusive work environment. Your race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or veteran status have no bearing on our hiring decisions. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.Apply