Auckland – Tāmaki Makaurau, New Zealand & Melbourne – Wurundjeri Country, Australia & Sydney – Gadigal Country, Australia & Wellington – Te Whanganui-a-Tara, New Zealand
Innovation Developer (R&D)
The role of the Innovation Developer (ID) is to lead the engineering of AKQA Innovation Team projects.
The ID must possess an exceptional ability to steward emerging ideas into real world applications, and have a knack for getting stuff out there that results in products, services and systems that have a mix of usefulness and significance, feasibility and viability.
The day-to-day for an ID might involve:
- Writing code to create a proof-of-concept for a project or product idea
- Participation in ideation sessions
- Seeking out new or emerging technologies that could lead to interesting outcomes/solutions, or open unexpected possibilities for our clients
- Liaising with our partners in industry and academia on new and ongoing projects
- Inspiring, educating or learning from your colleagues
The Innovation team at AKQA is a small powerhouse of collaboration and imagination. Over the year we’ve been responsible for groundbreaking work including Action Audio, The [Uncertain] Four Seasons, Science Gallery Fields, Oxford Environmental Impact Labelling and RGBlack to name a few. Our work is driven by AKQA’s purpose to create a better future through the imaginative application of art and science.
As we move further into the post-digital era the ID consults teams, clients and research partners to help them inhabit liminal spaces between art and science. Situating innovation as both design and technology.
As ID you ensure outcomes are the result of diverse, equal and inclusive collaborations. Respecting the intersectionality of the audiences you engage. You are aware of our species' impact on the planet and how it links to our economic, political and socio- cultural systems. You understand where AKQA can create impact with our clients and move toward a better future.
- A background in Computer Science or related discipline
- Proven ability to solve novel technical problems and implement robust technical solutions using your broad skill set.
- Work with frameworks and libraries like React, NextJS, ThreeJs, numpy and openCV
- Work with game engines and media production software such as Unity, Unreal Engine, Logic Audio and Adobe Premiere
- Display an ability and desire to be constantly learning and evolving new skills, and adapting existing skills for use in a creative environment
- Evaluate system specifications against business requirements.
- Implement high quality software solutions in line with business requirements.
- Produce quality code that is readable and maintainable by the team.
- Plan and execute testing across multiple platforms and solutions.
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Strong commercial development experience (3-5 years), working with key technologies listed above
- Good understanding and experience with the web: protocols, architectures, infrastructure, web servers, CI/CD, cloud, etc.
- Familiarity with agile development.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
AKQA is an Equal Opportunities Employer, we believe that diversity is vital to AKQA’s ability to provide our clients with the best recommendations and are committed to fostering a varied and inclusive work environment. Your race, colour, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or veteran status have no bearing on our hiring decisions. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Indigenous people are encouraged to apply for this role.Apply