London, United Kingdom
Principal Android Developer, Freelance
At AKQA, we believe in the imaginative application of art and science to create beautiful ideas, products and services. With an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach, we design adaptive digital services and applications that capture the imagination, delivering immersive experiences for our clients.
Located in London (Farringdon), United Kingdom, you will be working in a progressive, meritocratic environment, with access to world renowned thought leadership from all disciplines and working with some of the brightest minds in their fields.
You should be an established Lead Android Developer and practitioner of the latest mobile technologies; building best in class mobile applications, serving users on the modern mobile landscape, whatever that may be.
- Hands on development on medium to large scale projects.
- Expect a 70/30 split for hands-on development time and team lead activities.
- Work closely with others to ensure good collaboration across all disciplines and to facilitate the solving of day-to-day challenges.
- Collaborate, coach and mentor other team members whilst maintaining high levels of productivity.
- Understand client’s business goals and objectives in order to build the right technical solutions.
- Minimise technical risk and ensure a high-quality output.
- Implement testing strategies and promote rapid but high-quality development practices.
- Identify bottlenecks within delivery processes as they occur and be able to help influence behaviours within the team to help resolve these and protect the technical delivery.
- Operate in Lean and Agile methodologies or Hybrid approaches.
You will be a self-starting technologist who can draw parallels across a technology landscape and isn’t restricted by a specific skill set, however below is a list of skill sets we would expect;
- Proficient with Kotlin
- Advocate of developing reusable artifacts/frameworks, re-usable assets, Industry. Solutions, reference architecture, design, development and QA best practice
- A thorough understanding of OOP, design patterns and enterprise in mobile application integration
- Experienced in designing and developing mobile sdk and integrating mobile apps with web-services and external APIs
- Experience working with CI/CD pipelines.
- Advocate of Unit, integration and automated testing
- Experience with azure app center
- Experience with performance and memory tuning with tools
- Strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
HIGHLY DESIRED SKILLS
- Experience building Design Systems, pattern libraries or SDKs.
- Code performance and optimisation approaches and techniques.
- Understanding of Google’s Android design principles and interface guidelines
QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
- 5+ years’ industry experience.
- Advocate of Technical Delivery methodologies such as Agile (SCRUM & KANBAN) and opinion on the strengths of each.
- Proven experience of Leading a team of developers.
- Advocate for improvements to processes, quality, and security to develop best-in-class software development products.
- Analytical and positive mindset with a personable and professional approach.
- Sharp attention to detail and a passion for new technology.
- Professional written and verbal communication.
- Be able to talk for Technology to Non-technical audiences such as clients, stakeholders, and non-technical team members (especially UX & Creative).
This is a freelance opportunity for 2-3 months. Please let us know your availability to start.
Please share your Portfolio or github link. We would like to see your code.
AKQA is an Equal Opportunities Employer, we believe that diversity is vital to AKQA’s ability to provide our clients with the best recommendations and are committed to fostering a varied and inclusive work environment. Your race, colour, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or veteran status have no bearing on our hiring decisions. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.Apply