Portland, United States
At AKQA, we believe in the imaginative application of art and science to create beautiful ideas, products and services. With an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach, we design adaptive digital services and applications that capture the imagination, delivering impressive returns for our clients.
Partnership is the basis of our practice; we understand the context and culture that our clients operate in and use creativity to solve challenges and deliver results. From strategy to art and copy to technology, our teams across a range of disciplines work with world-class organizations that want to shape the future.
Our Portland studio collaborates with clients to create distinctive experiences. Whether we are developing a service, launching or redefining, we start with purpose and translate that into memorable projects.
The Senior Strategist will act as the day-to-day lead for one or more projects and clients, and will act as a thought leader for the team(s). They will guide and conduct research and distill insights in simple, inspiring ways to find or frame opportunities to drive business value and build brand equity (by resonating with consumers) through brand, campaign, content, digital and/or CX strategy. They will be curious and open-minded, determined to create and contribute to work that makes it out into the world and resonates with consumers, and be comfortable and humble enough to work in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment and add value beyond the strategic discipline if required to make work happen.
- Good interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills
- Ability to problem-solve many jobs simultaneously, quickly, calmly, and efficiently
- Confidence in meeting with clients to discuss and recommend strategic solutions, and lead them into new or uncomfortable spaces if research determines it
- An informed, thoughtful and critical POV
- Proactivity in tracking relevant trends in the marketplace
- Interest in fostering team culture and in learning from as well as growing others’ skills
- Develops an in-depth understanding of our client’s brand and business, and especially their specific customers’ behaviors, nuances, psychographics, characteristics or traits, opportunities, and pain points, through both primary and secondary research.
- Develops and synthesizes user research to map out user journeys that inform and inspire the development of new customer experiences and interactions with a brand
- Develops and synthesizes user research to create brand, campaign, content, digital and/or CX strategies and creative briefs, drawing on data-driven insights and cultural inspiration, that are communicated in succinct and invigorating enough ways to inspire clients and creatives alike to produce exciting, distinctive and crucially meaningful or resonant work for consumers
- Identifies the key message or proposition and the best means to communicate or demonstrate this, and able to design and implement measurement plans to help test hypotheses or assess the effectiveness of these messages and means
- Presents to and meets with clients on a regular basis to continue to inform and develop strategy and work, and is comfortable with ‘pushing back’ on their points of view and/or leading them into territories or spaces they may be uncomfortable with, if the research leads us to believe they should
- Fosters strong, collaborative relationships with team members from UX, creative, analytics, technology, client services, and project management
- Finds ways to add value beyond the strategy discipline and ‘upfront’ strategy remit, continuing to help drive towards and produce work in the world
- Manages and develops the work of more junior strategists
- Supports new business initiatives and the continued development of the strategy team.
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- No need for a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, but evidence of being a bold, inventive and critical thinker and problem solver above all else
- Ideally at least 4-5+ years of related experience, with at least some examples of work for major global brands
- Prior experience with customer journey mapping, brand and campaign strategy, and production of creative briefs (and development of them into real-world work)
- A record of successfully developing customer experience solutions that have demonstrated and driven value for clients’ businesses, by demonstrating and driving value or resonance with consumers
- Ability to generate rich and actionable insights from multiple sources of data, and find ways to communicate these engagingly to clients and consumers
- Strong knowledge in qual/quant research methodologies and ability to conduct interviews or workshops and utilize research tools.
- An interest in new forms of innovations (e.g. AI, machine learning, Internet of things, or IOT etc.).
- Strong communication skills, and the ability to work with senior clients
- Experience with communications/campaign planning across paid and earned channels is a plus but not required
AKQA is an Equal Opportunities Employer, we believe that diversity is vital to AKQA’s ability to provide our clients with the best recommendations and are committed to fostering a varied and inclusive work environment. Your race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or veteran status have no bearing on our hiring decisions. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.