Senior Creative Developer
PURPOSE OF ROLE
Responsible for managing, developing and delivering high-performing web-based solutions. This role is hands-on, involving production work, translating design concepts to HTML, accessibility, compatibility and performance testing as well as interaction with the creative and technical teams to create innovative solutions.
IN A NUTSHELL.
You are an experienced developer with knowledge of a wide variety of front-end technologies, with a background creating rich, interactive, single page web applications, often incorporating 2d and 3d graphics with WebGL, and with a good knowledge of developing for different mobile devices.
You are self-motivated with an insatiable appetite for learning, never satisfied to settle for the 'easy option' but will pursue and fight for the best. You are keen to improve your skillset and learn outside your remit and will be interested in, if not experienced in VR, 360 and DOOH experiences, outside of the traditional browser setup. Like everyone at AKQA, Senior Creative Developers are encouraged to be ambitious, forward-thinking and experimental. The tech team at AKQA get to explore the latest tech and seek to answer the question; 'what if...?'
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- Consistently delivers high quality project tasks on time and to budget.
- Makes a positive contribution to the team and receives positive feedback from team members.
- Actively analyses emerging technologies and assesses their relative merits.
- Constantly strives to improve processes and procedures.
- Balance of industry best practices, principles, quality assurance and innovation in design and implementation.
- Relentlessly reviews the standard of work, ensuring that only work meeting the highest levels of quality are delivered.
- Responsible for the overall technical approach and maintainability of assigned projects.
- Responsible for the quality and continuous improvement of our coding methodology, tooling and analysis.
- Estimating and the accuracy of estimates.
- Develops junior team members and inspires a sense of support and direction.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 6+ years experience and currently working with front-end technologies with experience of commercial web development.
- Experience in technology at leading digital agency or comparable organization.
- Formal qualifications in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, a related field advantageous.
- Bilingual proficiency (English and Mandarin) preferred.
- Local insight, understanding and appreciation a must.
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Confident and competent creating single page applications from scratch.
- Experience communicating with back-end services asynchronously via RESTful APIs.
- Solid understanding of cross-browser or platform issues and code solutions.
- Understanding of performance issues or solutions, particularly for mobile devices.
- Experience with WebGL and working with 3D in the browser.
- Ability to design UX, UI, 3D modelling concepts or assets would be a bonus.
- Experience with 2d graphics in the browser with canvas.
- Experience of version control using GIT.
- Experience using package managers such as NPM/Yarn.
- Able to implement and configure module bundlers such as Webpack.
- Experience automating tasks with tools such as Gulp, Grunt or NodeJS.
- Experience with Chinese platforms such as WeChat, Weibo, QQ, etc. highly favoured.
- Experience with other languages or creative technology mediums a bonus (C++, Java, ML etc)
- Experience communicating with external hardware such as Arduino, Microsoft Kinect a bonus
- Writes legible, manageable and extensible code that can be easily adopted by other developers.
AKQA is ideas-led agency and we work with the world's leading consumer brands.
We have offices in London, Amsterdam, New York, Washington DC, San Francisco and Shanghai and are one of the world's most awarded creative agencies. AKQA has been named Revolution magazine's Agency of the Decade; AdAge Digital Agency of the Year; AdWeek Digital Agency of the Year and Fast Company's Top 50 World's Most Innovative Companies.
Our people are core to the work we produce for our clients and contribute to a culture which fosters innovation, service, quality and thought in everything we do. We reward them by providing an inspirational working environment, opportunities to move between departments and international offices, competitive remuneration and an industry leading training and development programme.
The future inspires us. We work to inspire.Apply