At AKQA, we believe in the imaginative application of art and science to create a better future. With an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach, we design adaptive ideas, services and experiences that capture the imagination, delivering impressive returns for our clients.
Strategists at AKQA make our clients’ business, their business. Driven by an innate curiosity and a passion for problem solving and learning, they harness their cutting-edge knowledge of brands, technology, culture and societal trends to provide unique outlooks and solutions for our clients.
As Senior Strategist, you will be responsible for the strategic output for a portfolio of clients, positioning the value of Strategic Planning internally and to clients, and accountable for managing strategic deliverables. The Senior Strategist leads strategic thought on pitches, expected to anticipate, research and identify client opportunities, provide future thinking and a provocative POV whilst managing exciting and challenging day-to-day projects. Your thoughts & opinions will play a role in shaping the future.
The role requires development of insights from research, managing associate research and performance evaluation programmes, and developing strategic responses and value-add thought leadership to clients. Your role will be particularly essential in generating local insight and strategy that resonates within Japan, as well as for audiences more globally.
You will work in an innovative and inclusive culture, surrounded by some of the brightest minds in their fields. You will have the opportunity to learn and grow within a creative and technically-advanced team and have access to ongoing personal and professional development.
- Keep abreast of cultural, creative and technological news and developments pertaining to clients/useful for the account team.
- Utilise experience to begin to develop macro perspectives of your own on consumer & brand issues, leading to 'thought pieces' for both internal (training/idea sharing) and external (publications, speeches, or new business thinking) use.
- Own the strategic debate on own brands, and be recognised as a key driver of this both internally and externally. Further, have proactive, provoking debate on own brands, and identify what the agenda for future discussion should be.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of, and be able to hold discussions about business matters (organisational, strategic, financial, etc.) with senior clients.
- Lead debate with clients on effectiveness of new channels, and the right way to evaluate them. Create case studies and Effectiveness Award submissions on key projects worked on.
- Have a point of view on the future of research, evaluation and effectiveness. Think of new research projects/methodologies/products AKQA can use to generate original insights for clients and for New Business purposes.
- Assume responsibility for multi-market strategy deployment, and demonstrate sensitivity to local market culture and dynamics.
- Take leadership of the majority of the planning side of the brief-writing and development process and be recognised as doing so by both client and senior creatives.
- Be able to sensitively provide feedback to give clear direction, provide additional stimulus and thought starters. Work to keep the creative team motivated and excited about the creative opportunity.
- Develop relationships with the senior clients involved in the brand, and be recognised by the entire client team as the first point of contact for all day-to-day planning issues.
- Assume responsibility for the majority of the planning input and marshalling the thinking on pitches, and be the planning representative for the agency in creds meetings.
- Ensure work is to the highest possible standards at all times, and that client presentations are engaging and inspiring.
- Develop a framework for approach including building out hypotheses, work streams and milestones.
- Fluent in Japanese and English, both written and spoken.
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Extensive experience in strategic planning within a digital or integrated agency environment.
- Experience building robust integrated comms plans.
- Broad knowledge of sector experience - Having experience of two or more industry sectors, with some multi-channel media experience.
- A gifted factual storyteller with one foot in the now and one foot in the future.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to influence and inspire people.
- Be willing to use your experience to sharpen and strengthen team skills.
- Have experience in developing cutting edge brand experience platforms.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of data, trends and insight, and how these may be utilised in order to improve clients' business results.
- Able to sport the kernel of an idea, experienced in judging the quality of ideas.
AKQA is an Equal Opportunities Employer, we believe that diversity is vital to AKQA’s ability to provide our clients with the best recommendations and are committed to fostering a varied and inclusive work environment. Your race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or veteran status have no bearing on our hiring decisions. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Indigenous people are encouraged to apply for this role.Apply